They cook every Friday, and they always make something based on the letter of the week. On this particular occasion, they had been learning about the letter U. The previous week I had been invited to partake in the sharing of letter O, which was a simply divine omelet, and had been reminded to come back for letter U - which, I was promised, was going to be delicious.
The mind boggled - at the time I wasn't sure what U might be, but I was sure it would be great.
To my, and the students delight, the letter U was upside down cake! They had made pineapple, in the microwave - so it was quick, delicious and by all accounts super easy to make.
That weekend I decided I would make my own version of this yummy cake. Ive made it a few times now.
So, here is my version of the easy and speedy cake. Its made in the microwave so that speeds the process up even further. It is the perfect cake to whip up if visitors arrive or if you suddenly find yourself craving something light and sweet - and its a lovely cake for a family Sunday night treat.
Peach Upside Down CakeIngredients
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
50 grms melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 & 1/2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup of peach juice (drained from peaches)
1. Put 2 tablespoons of melted butter into a microwave ring tin. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar around the ring tin, ontop of the melted butter.
2. Place drained peaches from a tin of peaches on top of the melted butter/sugar mix, arranging around the outside of the tin.
3. Melt 50grms of butter and add 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence, 1 egg into a bowl and beat together.
4. Mix in 1 and 1/2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons (yes, 2) of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of peach juice - add more if you need it.
5. Pour over the topping, place a paper towel over the top (baking paper works just as well) and cook in the microwave on medium heat for 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 mins then tip out onto a plate. The peaches will be on the top!
Serve with whipped cream, or ice cream. To lighten the calories, serve with greek yoghurt mixed with a little honey to sweeten.